Good morning October! We are one month closer to summer. Rise, shine and spoil your beautiful body with these 3 delicious breakfasts packed with super healthy ingredients and exotic flavors; almond milk, banana, berries, fresh coconut, quinoa, teff, flax seeds and LSA.
#1. Banana, Coconut & Quinoa Bircher Muesli
This is a delicious recipe from LushLoves. If you love Bircher Muesli, banana and coconut, you have to try this. You will need to prepare the bircher at least 4 hours before eating, or overnight. Fresh coconut is the best and worth the effort, but dried coconut flakes are a good backup plan.
For the bircher:
1 large ripe banana, smashed (using a fork)
1 cup quinoa flakes
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup cows/soy/almond milk
Juice 1/2 lemon
1 tbs maple syrup/honey/agave nectar
1/4 tsp cinnamonFor the topping:
- Sliced banana
Fresh coconut, grated
- Alternative toppings: berries (when in season) or seeds and nuts for extra crunch.
#2. Banana, Almond & Teff Porridge
Teff is the tiniest whole grain there is, smaller than a poppy seed. Teff can taste a bit rough/grindy if not cooked long enough, but if prepared right the consistency should be similar to polenta or cream of wheat. The flavor of the teff is nutty and it is predicted to take over quinoa as the latest “it grain”.
- A glass of almond milk
- 1 tbs of flax seeds (broken or ground)*
- 1 tbs of crushed or sliced almonds
- 1 banana
- 4 tbs of teff
Heat up a saucepan with almond milk and teff. Before it reaches boiling point, turn to a lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes, lid on. Take off the heat and leave for another 10 minutes. Stir and pour everything into a bowl and add the banana and flax seeds and almond. Top with a little honey.
* Flax seeds are a great source of fat; it keeps your sugar levels in line, so you have less of an urge to snack on anything sweet.
#3. Banana, Oat & Blueberry Breakfast Smoothie
A breakfast smoothy is a healthy and simple family favourite. Even our toddler loves a little smoothy every so often. It’s quick to prepare, handy on the go and a good alternative to the daily Weatbix and Vegimite toast routine.
- 1/2 cup traditional rolled oats
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 2 teaspoons LSA (a mix of ground linseed, sunflower seeds and almonds. Find it in the health food aisle of large supermarkets or health food stores.
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup reduced-fat plain Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons honey
Blend oats, banana, blueberries, LSA, milk, yoghurt and honey together until smooth. Pour into chilled glasses. Serves 3.