Tuesday 3 November is Melbourne Cup Day! The race will kick off at 12pm local Perth time. Did you know…
- the winner of the 2015 Melbourne Cup will run approximately 3mins 20sec for the 3200m.
- the current record is 3:16.3 by Kingston Rule set in 1993.
- around 300 to 400 horses are nominated each year, but the final field is limited to 24 starters.
- the Melbourne Cup commands a total entrance fee of $50,805 per horse
- last year’s winner was Protectionist (3:17.71) and he is listed to race again.
- there will be a total of 10 races on Melbourne Cup day, with the first race at 10.30am and the last at 5.15pm.
- last year there were 100,794 spectators at Flemington Racecourse.
- the winner to take home the Cup and the $6,200,000 prize will have to win Race 7: Group 1 Emirates Melbourne Cup at 12pm local Perth time (3pm Melbourne time).
- favourites this year are Fame Game, Order Of St George, Preferment, Who Shot Thebarman, Dandino and Max Dynamite.
Who is going to win? We are not sure (yet)… But we can tell you our Local Top 3 “Where to Celebrate the Melbourne Cup in Style” – without catching a plane to (potentially cold and rainy) Melbourne. I can’t wait to get dressed up (must check out the fashion wins and fails on the day – #melbournecup2015!) on a schoolday, meet my girlfriends, have lunch, drink some champagne and enjoy the festivities somewhere local, beachy and sunny… Check out the links for tickets and to see what’s included. Happy Cup Day!