Cake with beans? I like my cakes ‘old school’; butter, sugar, flour, eggs. All the ‘new age slices’ with nuts and grains, without sugar and dairy, it’s just never the same as the real thing. If I want to eat healthy I will just eat some crackers and hummus, not a chocolate cake made out of beans right? Wrong! Last week I tasted a chocolate cake made with kidney beans and it was so good; rich, fudgey and super delicious. And all the kids loved it too! There are lots of different recipe varieties out there, but this is the original from Thermomix. It’s gluten free, nut free and high in protein. You don’t need a Thermomix to make it; just use your normal mixer and follow the steps. I added some milk (half a cup) at the end to make it easier to poor the liquid into my muffin tray.
- 420 g can kidney beans or butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon water or coffee
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or more to taste
- 70 g raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon GF baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 125 g Butter
- 5 eggs
- 140 g raw or coconut sugar
- In your TM puree the beans, water/coffee, 1 egg and vanilla until smooth on speed 7. Set aside.
- Without washing the bowl, beat the butter and sugar Speed 5 30 seconds
- Add the remaining eggs & beat for 20 seconds SP 4.
- Add bean mixture SP 4 5 seconds.
- Add the cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and blend SP 4 10 seconds.
- Pour batter into greased ring tin pan and bake MOD oven for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Muffins only take 20 minutes to cook.
Source: Recipe Community